Re: git commit messages

On 04/22/2009 10:46 AM, Vincent Untz wrote:

I'd like to suggest that this is the default recommendation for GNOME
modules, since having some common guidelines will make the life easier
for most people. If some maintainers disagree, they can of course ask
for something else in their modules.

+1.

We can copy&  paste it to http://live.gnome.org/Git/CommitMessages if
people agree.

Yes please.

Opinions?

I also like to mention that one-liners are also acceptable if the change is really self-explanatory. Like, say "Fix leak". There's not much more to say.

Another option I like to document if we can agree on is prefixing the short-summary with a tag, like for example:

  "[layout] Improve X or Y"

Others suggested:

  "layout: Improve X or Y"

I prefer the former as it's visually more pleasing to me AND visually easier to recognize the tag in git-shortlog output.

In another mail you wrote:

> Frédéric (fredp) is suggesting to also propose a standard scheme to
> reference bugs that are fixed by a commit (so we can script things if
> it's needed one day -- that's similar to what Debian does).
>
> Something like "Closes: #123456" or "Fixes: #123456".

> This should probably live in the longer explanation since the short
> explanation is limited in size...

I don't quite like something like this. I use the much more verbose version in my commits. In fact, sometimes I use the bug title like as my short summary. Like:

commit 2fc08eeb9daeabd9fbac1e8ae409581117601bb5
Author: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>
Date:   Thu Apr 9 13:30:26 2009 -0400

    Bug 577952 – Error loading {GDEF,GSUB,GPOS} table 0x6EAD

    Detect TrueType Collections by checking the font data header instead
    of checking for "face->num_faces >1".

If I need to, I change the bug title first to make it accurate.

> (Then we can also reference other bug trackers when needed: bnc#12345,
> rh#12345, lp#12345, etc.)

Why so cryptic if it's on the long description?  I write "Red Hat Bug #12345".
I don't know what bnc is for example.

Vincent

behdad