Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Sebastian Pölsterl <sebp k-d-w org> wrote:

Jamie McCracken schrieb:
> If a new infrastructure is needed then it would be best to merge it with
> notification icons and make it xdg compliant and not gnome specific

I would love to see desktop a independent applet/widget/whatever spec.
I'm just not very confident that we can come up with a spec that
everybody is happy about. This would cause to delay things further.
Feel free to prove me wrong.
How about a simple spec for embedding stuff in the panel at an arbitrary size using dbus and xembed? If GNOME Shell wants to expose a sidebar that applets can be embedded in, the same spec could probably be reused for a different set of applets.

It's not terribly ugly, and if it lacks anything in functionality then it makes up for it in simplicity.

Natan