Re: Adding module descriptions

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 20:03 +0200, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 11:46 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > Duplication is certainly bad. We have two ways to go:
> >
> >  A) Not put the maintainers list in the DOAP files and have them in
> >     the MAINTAINERS file. The plan is that Pulse will be able to take
> >     the .doap files from the module and add in things like release
> >     information to create a more complete DOAP file. So maintainers
> >     could be added at that step.
> >
> >  B) Drop MAINTAINERS and move the information to the DOAP file.
> >     (There would be some sort of transition period where we would
> >     support both.)
> >
> > I like B) better; I'd rather one file than a collection of little files.
>
> +1 from me too.
>
> Though I remember that the SVN policy required a MAINTAINERS file inside
> the module in order to commit to it. Is this still valid for git?
> (please forgive me if this has already been brought up in some other
> thread).

That hook script has been ported over. However, the script that actually
reads MAINTAINERS:

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/sysadmin-bin/tree/handle-ldap-modules

Needs to be ported over to use git rather than svn. So, if someone does
that they can at the same time make it handle .doap files as an
alternative. (The semi_rdf.py in gitadmin-bin can be used to do the
parsing)

And once that works, we can relax the hook to look for *either* the DOAP
file or MAINTAINERS.

- Owen