Re: GNOME 3.0 Schedule draft; Streamlining of the Platform.

Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
>>> My understanding on this after talking with Richard Hult, is that
>>> there is no GConf maintainer, and the DBus port is a huge hack and not
>>> really suitable for the main branch, and that a proper merge would
>>> need a lot of work.

Of course, if nothing else is going to depend on Bonobo and GConf
doesn't expose Bonobo in its API (which I think it doesn't) then we
could just move libbonobo into the gconf source tree, as a private
library, and then complete the D-Bus fixup/merge at our leisure after that.

> We learned, with the GIO transition, that porting lots of applications
> isn't fun, and is something which takes much time to be completed
> project-wide. As GConf is probably even more widely used than gnome-vfs
> was, porting could be an even bigger effort.

GConf->DConf seems like it might be less work per module than
gnome-vfs->gio though...

-- Dan