Gnome-panel-handles do not accept transparency

I'm sure lots of people have raised the issue that although most of the panel can be made transparent, when the panel is resized not to cover the entire width, the handles that show up do not accept transparency values.
This is unacceptable, right? these handles look pretty much like gtk1.0 boxes. Please, tell me someone is willing to patch this for me, I've got $10 in my paypal account I'll give them, plus a cookie. I saw a bug report on the ubuntu launchpad site submitted about this in 2006! And don't tell me you are getting rid of gnome-panel, this can be fixed anyway, please?

Joshuah Kuttenkuler
---
Processed at location stamped in INVISIBLE INK MADE FROM NON-FAT SOY CHEESE AND CHEAP TOASTER STRUDEL at top of message. Your compliance with *all* of my terms and conditions, expressed or implied,unexpressed or unimplied, is automatic upon viewing, opening, receiving, or deleting this message. P.S.: I did it for the lulz & Long live the Zaftian empire. P.P.S. This signature is a sign that I have auspergers and should be ignored entirely.