Re: new module proposal: notification-daemon+libnotify

Hi everyone.

So, yes, I've been pretty busy as of late and haven't done a release in a while. I've been waiting on some work to be finished for a patch for notification-daemon these past couple of months and have decided it can wait. I'll be performing a release shortly. I actually meant to do this about two weeks ago, but have had some stuff going on in my life that's delayed this. Hopefully this weekend.

As far as patches go, I've noticed that some distros are shipping patches that have never come across to me. If there are distros with patches that are not in notification-daemon SVN, please do send them my way so I can include them for the release.

The tentative plan for notification-daemon and libnotify is to move them into SVN and switch over to Bugzilla. I'm then hoping to get someone to act as a co-maintainer for this. There will be a formal code review process for these modules, using a Review Board installation I'm setting up. All code will be expected to go through this before being committed in the code base (aside from translations).

I would also like to formally propose notification-daemon and libnotify for inclusion into GNOME. To be quite honest, I've in the past lost interest in proposing this because it was rejected time and time again despite half the desktop depending on it nowadays, and I just left things up to the various distros to decide whether to provide the full functionality of these applications. However, I would like to get this into the GNOME desktop and as someone before said, I think we need to be realistic about the fact that this is pretty heavily used now and is in essence a dependency already.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond - chipx86 chipx86 com
VMware, Inc.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 17:00 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

> I'm more worried about the fact that there has been no release since
> early 2007 (if I'm not mistaken), and so distro are currently shipping
> it with patches. Maybe we can just import the module in GNOME svn and
> fix stuff there?

Yes, this seems a good idea to me. If we want to do this and are
lacking a volunteer for importing/reviewing patches and bugs you can
count me in :)

Cheers,

Cosimo