libcanberra as an external dependency

It seems to me there is a fundamental problem with adding libcanberra as an external dependency. It currently only supports ALSA and pulseaudio audio output. However, the default sounds daemon for GNOME is still esound. The BSDs and Solaris do not support ALSA, so this leaves them a tough choice for sound events. Pulseaudio replaces esd, but it is not a blessed GNOME dependency.

I think libcanberra must have an esd output plug-in at the very least (i.e. if not also OSS and Sun Audio) in order to be a viable external dependency. This would go a long way to helping non-Linux platforms achieve working sound theme support using all blessed GNOME dependencies.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome FreeBSD org