Re: Dependency Proposal: Clutter 0.6.2, ClutterMM 0.6

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 21:37 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 21/04/2008 alle 17.10 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi ha scritto:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:46 +0200, Guillaume Emont wrote:
> >
> > it seems to me that Pigment is trying really hard to get in twelve
> > months to the point where Clutter already is now; in six month we're
> > probably going to release Clutter 1.0, or an approximation of it[2].
> > Clutter is already providing a (portable) integration with GTK+, Webkit,
> > Cairo, GStreamer and event a physics engine - and we are committed to
> > release the current trunk as 0.8 before GNOME 2.24 is API frozen[3].
>
> Emmanuele, IMHO the better and faster way to show everyone the Clutter
> goodnees is provide a Coverflow[1] like[2] plugin for Rhythmbox whitin 4
> weeks ;-)

four weeks? what would I do with the rest of the three and a half weeks,
then? ;-)

seriously, though: I though about it, and I actually preferred adding a
slideshow to eog. you know, something that didn't scream "please, apple,
sue me"; and frankly I find coverflow on the clunky[1] side of usable
browsing.

plus, everyone and his sister has that[2]. :-)

so, here's a by no means complete Ken Burns style slide show plugin for
eog that I wrote this morning (took me approx. 2 hours, most of which
spent finding out how to extract stuff from eog):

  http://folks.o-hand.com/ebassi/eog-ken-burns-clutter-plugin.ogg

patch against eog trunk:

  http://folks.o-hand.com/ebassi/eog-ken-burns-clutter-plugin.patch

caveat: it's pretty ugly in terms of extracting the images list out of
eog - ideally, one would like an API to preload the next couple of
images at each cycle, so that eog_image_get_pixbuf() will work without
me getting the path of the image and calling
gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_size() or using an asynchronous callback
complicating the code. it's also not fullscreened for debugging
purposes, but it's quite easy to call gtk_window_fullscreen() on it.

obviously, it's completely optional - but if you have jhbuild you can
already compile it by simply building clutter and clutter-gtk before
eog.

by the way: I totally blame lucasr - he should be the one doing it. ;-)

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

+++

[1] not the actual effect: I think that the amounts of tweaks to make it
look "real" doubled the amount of actual code needed to make it work.

[2] and everyone is trying to use it for the wrong thing.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.net