Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

27 sep 2007 kl. 09.07 skrev Xavier Claessens:

Hi,

Right, libempathy and libemapthy-gtk are GPL because it contains code
from Gossip. libempathy mostly contains trivial code from gossip, the
rest is rewritten by me or some collabora workers who are 100% OK to
relicence, so it shouldn't be a problem to relicence libempathy to LGPL.
libempathy-gtk is more a problem since lots of non-trivial code is
written by Gossip developers who doesn't seems to agree to relicence to
LGPL...

I'm getting slightly tired of you Xavier, again.

What are you basing this on? I for one haven't been asked at all regarding this topic.

I do know however that relicensing that code is going to take a lot of work in figuring out who needs to be asked for the relicensing, work that I'm not at all inclined to do.

On the topic of Gossip branching.

>> I've been diving deeper in to the code involved here and the more I
>> see the more I dislike. Xavier, it seems that you implemented
>> gossip-telepathy and then forked Gossip to create Empathy? Can you
>> provide some history for us please? What is going on here?

> We first started a telepathy backend for Gossip, then more deep work was
> needed to integrate well telepathy into gossip and Gossip developers
> refused that, they wanted to keep Gossip a Jabber-only client. So I
> forked Gossip to make Empathy to be a telepathy-only client. That's all.

While this is slightly true you either deliberately or mistakingly leaves out the reasoning from our point of view. And that is to rip out a perfectly working backend used by a lot of people and replace it with a new untested backend. You wanted to do that directly as you simply couldn't continue your work otherwise, we wanted to do it slower. Thanks for clearing this up earlier Rob.

I proposed the fork so we (Gossip team) support it as we didn't find we could work with Xavier on this and our goals were clearly different. After the fork we decided to remove the Telepathy backend, not before it.

So Xavier, if you want to report on our views, please bring in the hole picture and stick to the facts.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com