Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On 9/16/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le samedi 15 septembre 2007, à 21:44 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> > Ok, lets be fair:  most people who care about hacking on GNOME already
> > know git, why should other options be selected?
>
> I don't think it is fair to state this. A lot of people certainly care
> about hacking on GNOME and don't know git (and don't care about it).

Interestingly enough, I think I can see both sides.  While I haven't
done a thorough poll or anything, I have long taken note of others in
the community adopting various VCSes.  I don't have any solid records,
but my guess is that you'd find a relatively high correlation between
git users and those hacking on low-level bits of GNOME.  I don't
recall seeing any adoptions of VCSes other than git by those I'd
consider a low-level hacker (which, now that I make that statement, I
fully expect one such person to adopt one and then email me just to
prove me wrong.)

Also, I'd guess from what I've seen that those hacking on higher-level
bits of GNOME are both less likely to have adopted a different SCM
than cvs/svn, and among those that have, are less likely to have
chosen git than one of the other alternatives.

This may be an important point to investigate before weighing
advantages/disadvantages of various systems, as the appropriate
weights may vary considerably depending on which part of the community
someone is involved in.

Just some food for thought,
Elijah