Re: Proposing dependencies for gnome-games

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Josef Spillner wrote:
gnome-games has for some time offered online gaming capabilities on top of the
GGZ Gaming Zone platform. Three games are already working fine, a fourth one
is currently being ported. As an upstream author of GGZ I'm very pleased to
see this.

However, gnome-games includes internal copies of all GGZ libraries in its SVN,
with the justification of wanting to have GGZ support even if the distro in
question doesn't have GGZ packages yet. Recently, a member of the Debian
security team got very upset about this as this requires patching more
packages.
I share these concerns, especially since there are no major distros left that
do not include recent GGZ packages.

I was pointed out that in order to let gnome-games' configure script fail when
no external GGZ libraries are found, I would need to propose those libraries
as external dependencies on this list.
So here I am. The proposal encompasses libggzmod and libggzcore for the client
applications as well as libggzdmod for the (headless) game servers. As an
indirect dependency, libggz is pulled in. All of those libraries can usually
be installed painlessly on most distributions, e.g. 'apt-get install ggz' on
Debian. All libraries have for years gone through a process of ensuring
API/ABI stability, changing sonames whenever features were
added/modified/removed.

Any comments? The current glChess client is supposed to be refactored into a
generic gnome-games online gaming client. In order to be able to push forward
with such development and additional clients, I think the dependency is more
useful than internal copies with its security flaws, back-and-forward-syncing
and additional maintenance.

I'd like to add my support for GGZ as an external dependency of GNOME 2.22.0.
This would give gnome-games a better supported multiplayer service, and improve the current situation a lot. Note that KDE games has also chosen to use GGZ for multiplayer support, so others are also moving in this direction.

I was very pleased with using GGZ to implement the multiplayer support in some of the gnome-games. There are still some areas where GGZ can be better (eg. user-interface), but this is something which is being worked on and will become better.

 - Andreas R.