Re: GDM login to a JHBuild session

[ Forgot to reply to the list, trying again ]

On 10/2/07, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

> GDM already has too many surgical workarounds that are only used in
> odd corner-cases, and these tend to break on occasion.  I'm not opposed
> to adding more if someone wants to provide a patch, but if there is a
> way to make things work without hacking GDM further, that would be
> better, I think.

The addition I'm suggesting to GDM is not "set environment variable to
prevent launching of D-BUS" it's "set an environment variable before
running Xsession", which seems like a very general thing. Whether I
can convince distros to use this feature to fix the dbus-launch
problem is between me and them :-)

> Could dbus-launch be made smarter so that if dbus-launch was already
> started earlier in the stack, it does something smarter and "just
> works"?  If possible, this would be better than adding a hack to GDM
> to support a flag that requires the the distro Xsession script support
> it.

Well, as Wouter says, it actually *does* work to dbus-launch over the
existing session and just have both session daemons running, but when
I considered that earlier, it didn't pass muster for me as something I
could recommend as good practice. (This fact does mean that if the
system Xsession isn't patched to support the environment variable, no
great harm happens, you just get two session daemons.)

- Owen