Re: add libcolorblind as an external dependencie

Sex, 2007-03-23 �12:02 -0500, Shaun McCance escreveu:
> I would disagree that no Gnome applications are unfriendly
> to color-blind users.  They're generally not outright hostile,
> but not all of them are friendly.  Examples:
> * All but one of the themes in Five or More are unusable for
Hmmm... I never played it ;), so I've never noticed.

> * The colors of the numbers in Mines are hard-coded.
Yeah, but the color isn't really information there... so it's
not exactly an acessibility problem.

> * The colors for the fill bars in the Disk Usage Analyzer
>   are hard-coded.
> That's just off the top of my head.  Not show-stopper bugs,
> but they are mild annoyances for color-blind users.
Yeah, that might be some other spots, but what I mean is that in
most cases GNOME is colorblind-friendly.

> > The problem is mainly with web
> > content, when you have charts with colorblind-unfriendly colors. At this
> > time, the user is supposed to just turn the filter on on that moment,
> > choosing which filter fits best on that image, and after reading the
> > image, turn the filter off again.
> We certainly have great accessibility inside the desktop,
> and I think it's a great idea to make tools to compensate
> for the bad accessibility in places we can't control.
> What worries me, though, is the discoverability of this
> feature.  As a color-blind user, if I encountered some
> pie chart on the web with crappy colors, it would never
> occur to me to open the screen magnifier.
> The technology is cool.  Now we need to shake out the
> user interaction.

Yeah... I was talking to Carlos about this, and there's one important
thing about it, usually the people who would use the colorblind filters
would not need the zooming, so it probably don't make sense to make its
management gnome-mag-oriented.

Probably just creating a gnome-applet that does what test/control-client
(inside gnome-mag source) does, but being colorblind-oriented would be
enough.

> > Again, this filter is not meant to help usage of gnome applications
> > itself, because gnome is already colorblind-friendly. We're talking here
> > mainly about web content. To show that, I've taken some usefull
> > screenshots using vertical split in gnome-mag [1].
> > [1] http://people.debian.org/~ruoso/colorblind/
> I can see the numbers!

/me understand this feeling ;)

daniel