Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:37 +0100, David Prieto wrote:
> > it does that but using beagle, if available, AFAIK.
>
> Well, that's not what I meant then.
>
> Accessing an app through the "more apps" menu is painfully slow and
> intrusive if you know what specific app you want to run, but it happens
> not to be on your favourites menu.

The Alt-F2 keybinding still works, so you can easily run apps without
having to open the more applications, or beagle search, UIs. Perhaps
we need to add a little "Run..." button under the "System" group on
the right side of the main menu, but the functionality is still
there. It's no slower than having to search through a large menu, when
menu items may move. The "more apps" browser has an application filter
entry, that compares against more than just the Name field of the
application's desktop file. If the complaint of slowness is purely
on the fact that it might take a second to open initially, then the
answer is simply that it needs a little performance work, which as
I understand, is being worked on, or will be soon enough. The slow
initial run is almost entirely disk i/o bound.

> The search bar could easily solve that by doing an app search and
> offering the user to open it right away. But opening a beagle search
> window is even worse than the initial situation.

It doesn't have to open beagle. It can open whatever you tell it to,
via the gconf key. The same with the package manager integration. It
doesn't have to use what the current defaults are. It can use whatever
nifty package management tools you want it to.

Are you proposing to integrate the functionality of deskbar into the
main menu applet, and thus replace deskbar as well? That's what I'm
getting from your comments, anyway.

-- dobey