Re: Playing a sound in GNOME

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Richard Hughes wrote:
I think whatever is done, there needs to be a way for application "foo"
to play file "ding.wav" without worrying about the intricacies of
gstreamer. Don't get me wrong, the gstreamer API is great (and really
powerful) but somewhat complicated when you just want a "alert" sound
from the speakers.

I can confirm this. I've been trying to use gstreamer to play .ogg sounds for gnome-games, but so far gstreamer has been far too complicated to use. I have still not seen a way to play ogg files using gstreamer in only a few lines of code. So this would be very much wanted...

 - Andreas