Re: GNOME git repositories?

2006-12-26 klockan 23:49 skrev Mikael Hallendal:
> > If the point is not yet clear:
> >     Choose *ONE* RCS GNOME-wide, and stick with it
>
> Well, what we can do is that we have a single point where
> translations are commited. It's the maintainers responsibility to add
> new files for translation to this place and to pick new translations
> from it if he choose to use another system than this (which in my
> opinion should be SVN or even CVS since SVN won't give much extra for
> this).

Using a central repository for translations would be really useful. I
imagine the translation coordinator for a language maintaining a "MAIN"
branch with all current translations. Individual translators can:
- send translations by mail to their coordinator
- commit to their own repository and ask the coordinator for a merge
- commit directly to the "MAIN" branch if the coordinator approves

(Actually, I already use a bzr branch for my Gnome translations. I just
commit the individual files to various CVS modules afterwards...)

A distributed version control system (like bzr) would rock for this. This
way the main, Gnome-wide l10n repository could hold all languages, with just
merges from the per-language branches maintained by the language
coordinator. Eg, the "gnome-translations-all" branch periodically merges the
"gnome-translations-nl" and "gnome-translations-es" branches.

Having a central translation repository would also make l10n maintenance
much easier: better and easier statistics [1], a better way to compare
translations, and so on... the "input" for such a central l10n repository
would be snapshots of the (autogenerated) .pot files in various GNOME
branches/modules, the output will be a bunch of translations.

Just my €0.02 :)

  mvrgr, Wouter

[1] progress.gnome.org rocks, btw ;)
--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

from the time we intercepted :: feels more like suicide           -- placebo