Re: Replacing control center menus

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 17:33 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> >> This also could mean that we have too many capplets.
> >
> >   Agreed.
> >
> >   But even if we can't get away from a multitude of capplets, there's an
> > alternative solution: add an extra level of preferences "categories", as
> > we do for the applications menu.
> >

> Four clicks to get to a preference window? Sounds a bit excessive.
>
> We had the discussion about the number of capplets already on the
> control center list. It was generally agreed that it would be nice to
> merge some of them, but (as far as I know) all except one of the
> suggestions had problems. And after that, the biggest issue is finding
> some developers with enough time to actually do the work.
>
> I do think using a shell window is easier than a menu, especially when
> it has search and filter features. It is also likely to be more familiar
> to users coming from other desktops.

But what is being used for the search functionality?  Beagle? Time to go
buy a super-computer so I can change the sensitivity of my mouse :-)  I
know that search/tag/filtering is the hot topic, but how is that better
here?

Someone mentioned 4 mouse clicks to get to an applet is ridiculous.
With a window that needs searching, we are talking a mouse click, wait
for application to load, multiple keyboard presses, another mouse click,
then you are where you want to be.  That is a lot more back and forth
between the keyboard and mouse than a menu.

Jon