Re: xorg 6.8 composite support?

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 10:51 +0200, Florian F� wrote:
> I just argued with one of Gnome's epiphany developers about setting the
> XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS variable in Epiphany, but he thought (and I assume he's
> right) that this is more a general Gnome desktop problem.
>
> There are at least 3 Gnome apps at the moment crashing or acting weird when
> composite support in xorg's 6.8 release is enabled:
> - epiphany on toolbar setup
> - gnome-theme-manager doesn't show any preview
> - metacity 2.8.4 has transparent window borders
> - maybe more thing i did not recognize yet...
> All these problems can be solved by setting XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS to 1 when
> starting the app. Are there any plans at the moment to use this variable for all
> apps that need it?

No, that variable is a workaround for users, the right way to fix the
apps is to just fix the apps to support ARGB visuals.

> There will be a lot of complaints about crashing/buggy Gnome apps because of
> this simple variable.

Anyone using composite in its current state should expect
crashing/buggy/slow, it's very much in the experimental bucket.

We should not be adding hacks like setting this env variable; we should
be fixing GNOME to support this stuff for real.

Havoc