xorg 6.8 composite support?

I just argued with one of Gnome's epiphany developers about setting the
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS variable in Epiphany, but he thought (and I assume he's
right) that this is more a general Gnome desktop problem.

There are at least 3 Gnome apps at the moment crashing or acting weird when
composite support in xorg's 6.8 release is enabled:
- epiphany on toolbar setup
- gnome-theme-manager doesn't show any preview
- metacity 2.8.4 has transparent window borders
- maybe more thing i did not recognize yet...
All these problems can be solved by setting XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS to 1 when
starting the app. Are there any plans at the moment to use this variable for all
apps that need it?
There will be a lot of complaints about crashing/buggy Gnome apps because of
this simple variable.