Re: GNOME 2.10 module proposal: libnotify and notification-daemon

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:32:47 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Do you plan for this to move to the GNOME Developer Platform suite, or the
> freedesktop.org Platform?

I'll let Christian answer this, but I believe the intention was if the
freedesktop.org platform solidifies and actually becomes a dependency of
KDE/GNOME to go there. It was written and designed with this in mind.

>> Name: notification-daemon
>
> Shouldn't this functionality be aggregated into an existing GNOME
> component, such as the notification area applet, the panel, or
> gnome-session?

This was discussed on IRC. I'll sum up the points made:

Pros for a separate daemon:
- reliability/robustness
- works better with selinux
- that's how it's actually written, though it could be adapted easily
- can be activated by dbus-daemon on demand

Cons for a separate daemon:
- extra startup time needed to create a new process
- Jeff mentioned "fewer moving parts better for administrators" though
  not being an administrator I don't really understand this ...
- "ps ax" is kind of messy when you have a ton of daemons, but then we
  already do have a ton of daemons so it's kind of a moot point.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the matter, though I think it
makes marginally more sense to keep it an individual process.

thanks -mike