Re: Next stop Utopia, full steam ahead?

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:47, Robert Love wrote:
>         * I don't see D-BUS code freezing anytime soon, but maybe the D-
>         BUS developers could shock me.

Realistically to get D-BUS integrated I think we'll have to do at least
one round of GNOME with D-BUS ABI/API unstable. If we can live with
that, putting it in now makes sense. We can do a stabilization freeze
pretty easily.

Really the only "big" items that remain for API freeze are:

 - complete the GLib bindings:
    - make them fully encapsulate libdbus (do not include dbus/dbus.h)
    - finish dbus-glib-tool ability to generate introspection data
      variables for a GObject
 - the protocol changes described in
   http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/dbus/2004-June/001169.html
 - some kind of sanity check for dcop to dbus transition/interoperation

Another question that's been raised:

 - libdbus is seriously low-level, but is the only
   secure/no-dependencies way to use dbus so systemwide stuff
   is stuck using it rather than nice bindings; is there a solution?

There are a lot of other things to do, of course. Help appreciated.

Havoc