Re: "Main Menu" layout

Hey,

> So, why is it that the Main Menu layout is total bollocks, and all the
> distros patch it, but no one fixes it upstream? I don't understand. :-)

It's more likely because no distributions want to commit to cleaning up
the menu code in the panel, so we just hack it. Also, I don't think any
of us have managed to find the elusive optimal layout for the menus
either, and speaking for JDS, we're still rearranging to date ;)

> The community one looks like this:
>
>   Applications >
>   Distribution Menu >
>   ---
>   Run Application...
>   Search for Files...
>   Recent Documents >
>   ---
>   Take Screenshot...
>   ---
>   Lock Screen
>   Log Out

JDS currently looks like this :

    Quickstart items [1]
    ====
    Applications >
    Run Application...
    ====
    Open Recent > [2]
    This Computer
    Find Files...
    ====
    Preferences >
    ====
    Lock Screen
    Log Out [username]

Glynn

[1] We have a quick-start:/// URI which people can drag applications
launchers into, to display at the top of the menu. Currently we have
Staroffice, Evolution and Mozilla up there

[2] Interestingly, we have a 'Open Documents Folder' at the top of the
recent file list, which seems to work quite nicely