Re: SVG (at least for icons) [Was: Industrial as default theme?]

Personally, I would much rather just see gnome-icon-theme get have SVGs
as well. Then we can get rid of the PNG files, and gnome-icon-theme
would be MUCH smaller for people to download, and we can keep the same
neutral default style. The Industrial folder icons are good examples of
SVG icons. The only thing that really annoys me in gnome-icon-theme, in
terms of visuals, is the trash icon. It just doesn't match the coloring
or style of the rest of the theme.

Aside from that, I don't think we should change the default so
drastically. Speaking from a maintainer's point of view, I don't want
to do it. :) Having something other than "gnome" be the default, and
yet, having an icon theme called "gnome" still exist, doesn't seem
right.

What we really need to do with icon themes, is get a standardized naming
scheme worked out (which I am working on, and have been recently
discussing with others on xdg list), and start moving everything toward
using it. Once we get that done, the barrier for using themes from KDE,
or other desktops, also becomes much lower, since you don't have to go
and create a thousand copies of the same icon for each desktop, and make
giant symlink farms. You'll be able to just have a standard set of
icons, and some perl/python/whatever script will create symlinks for the
older KDE/GNOME icon names, if necessary.

-- dobey