Re: Industrial as default theme?

Jeff Waugh wrote:

Also, I've just been informed that the THEME MASTER ROCK GOD (you may know
him from other themes, such as Mist), MISTER DAVE CAMP is working on some
tweaks for Industrial too. :-)

Just wanted to add in my two cents,

I think that Industrial is a good place to start. I tend to use Industrial as my Metacity theme and Bluecurve/Wonderland as my GTK2 theme, and I keep the default GNOME icons. I think that a "brighter" theme is probably in order, anything too close to "Windows 95 battleship gray" is too drab.

Since we're on the topic of default theme, what about the icons? Is it too early to go pure SVG for a default theme? Choosing a default theme needs to be future-proofed, changing it on every release probably isn't a good idea, and even though distributors will repackage it how they see fit, a "default GNOME theme" needs to be a long term "GNOME look" that is pleasing, yet comfortable for people.

If the future is vector-based interfaces, do you guys do that now, or later? It would suck if in a year (or whenever) you have to sit down and go over this entire process again if your going to make the move from pixmaps to SVG. Anyone who has tried "pixmap translated into SVG" themes knows that it does feel and look different, so I guess my question is, is GNOME ready to just go pure SVG for icons themes?

-jorge

PS - Try the current pixmaps on a high resolution monitor sometime, like the ones that are currrently shipping with modern PCs. Scalability of the entire interface needs to be addressed _soon_, watching a person with poor eyesight adjusting the default pixmap GNOME icons on a 1600x1200 LCD is painful. I'd love to see pure SVG icons that can scale UP and DOWN (with a matching GUI to make this easy) be the standard for GNOME.