Re: Translation of program names

Дана петак, 31. октобар 2003. 09:30:07 CET, Xavier Bestel написа:

Well, when they want to install the package 'Spoznaja' and they only
see 'Epiphany' in the list, they'll be troubled.

Certainly, but many distributions support localization even in the setup software. That should't be a problem to "fix". Though, they should install it when they select 'Gnome desktop' ;-)

Yes, I think you have a point. Perhaps you should poll your users (the users of your translations) to weight pros/cons correctly ?

Actually, just like in here, there are some who think this is a good thing, and others who think it sucks. It's just about priorities: some care more about the English names, some about translations. It simply depends on a lot of things.

But, the problem I am having right now is that developers are not even allowing translators to try to translate software name (in a recent message to this list, I noticed that _Name=Rhythmbox was changed to Name=Rhythmbox, meaning, it's not possible to translate it anymore). So, since it doesn't seem like everyone is strictly opposed to the idea, I believe translators should be the ones to decide.

I'm not asking for a definite answer 'yeah, do translate them', because I'm not myself sure that it's the right thing. It's just that I want to have a chance to decide on a per application basis, because in most cases, there would be no confusion at all.

That means that there should be a programming guideline to make all names "translatable" (or "gettextized"). This is what I am asking for. What rule will translators use is entirely different thing. I just point out that there *is* basis for any of the paths.

Cheers,
Danilo