Re: The noninclusion of Gaim

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Mark Finlay wrote:

<SNIP>

> they are not on boards the Gnome philosophy as far as I can tell. Gaim
> would really need a massive UI and usability overhaul to "fit in" with
> the Gnome desktop IMHO and I don't think that the gaim hackers would be
> very open to having their app overhauled.

Why "massive"?  What usability experts have reviewed it and concluded
that?  I cannot cite any testing with Gaim or AOL's client, but I can tell
you that I use Gaim and love the interface.  My friends and faily use it
or that AOL client and even the computer illiterate have no issues with
the interface.  Keeping Gaim similar to the AOL client certainly makes it
a lot easier to use for users who cross over and easier to support for
people who use both.

> I think that gaim should be the galeon of IM and for Gnome we need
> something that fits in better with the goals of Gnome.

That is not unreasonable.  It is more realistic than trying to badger the
Gaim guys into conforming with a project with which they don't share the
general sentiment and stated goals.

Thanks,

Erick Woods
erick gnomepro com