Re: Update: 2.2 Proposed Modules List

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 11:14, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The discussion about our proposed modules ground to a halt, so I thought it
> would be good to do a status update. I've split the list into LIKELY, DUNNO
> and UNLIKELY. 'DUNNO' just means that there has been no discussion about the
> module either way. I've also listed concerns for some.

To be fair, there was some discussion with regard to gst.

> DUNNO:
>
>   - galeon: Web browser. Depends on Mozilla.

A lot of the FreeBSD users really want a web browser by default in
GNOME.  They see KDE has one, and wonder where GNOME's is.

>   - gnome-media: Not a new module, but noted here because the latest branch
>
>   - gstreamer/gst-plugins: Multimedia framework libraries.

By lowering the thread[0]'s stack size, I got this working on FreeBSD,
so I drop my previous contention.  However, I'm not sure how other
platform's threading implementations will take to it.

>   - vte: Terminal widget with improved font, internationalisation and
>     accessibility support. Designed to replace libzvt.

This is a cool widget.  Some of our users have asked how to make the
gnome-terminal like the OS X terminal.  vte does it by anti-aliasing the
terminal widget itself.

> UNLIKELY:
>
>   - acme: Daemon and configuration utility for 'special' keys on modern
>     multimedia keyboards and notebooks.

Just out of curiosity, why?

>   - gcalctool: Scientific calculator. Proposed to replace gnome-calculator.
>     depends on GStreamer. (usability issues, prefer to have simple calc with
>     advanced modes)

I know why you're doing this, but damn!  I really like gcalctool.
However, I disagree with "depends on GStreamer."  I never had GStreamer
installed when I built this calculator.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus FreeBSD org