Re: Re-inventing Metatheme

On 27 Aug 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:

> > > 4) Metacity and GTK themes both change very quickly (plenty fast enough
> > > for instant apply). Nautilus themes should, though I haven't checked
> > > recently.
> >
> > Not on Solaris, sadly... it usually takes the thick end of a minute to
> > change from the default theme to HighContrastLargePrint on my Ultra10!
>
> Owwww! We should track that issue down, I have trouble believing its
> actually a direct performance problem.... that's several orders of
> magnitude slower than I'm seeing! :-/

AFAICT this is Calum's machine crying for more RAM (or death of evolution)
judging by all the swapping going on...

> Is that a control theme, window border theme, font set.... ? Or are you
> guys actually using metatheme? Metatheme currently seems to be very
> slow.
>
> But just looking at each individual theme type switching  itself....
> This is on my laptop (500 MHz right now since I'm on battery):
>
>   Window border, switch Wonderland -> Crux: < 1 sec
>   Control, switch Default -> PrettyOkayish: < 1 sec
>   Nautilus, switch Crux -> Eazel          : 3.5 sec

I'd say its about the same (ok, if nautilus is set to gnome theme gtk+
theme changes cause nautilus windows to repaint) onmy desktop with is a
400Mhz U10. Its fast and really seems to depend on how many windows want
to repaint themselves

> So Nautilus is a little sluggish here, but it also didn't make the
> system unresponsive while switching (and doesn't interfere with using
> apps like controls or window borders can), so its not too much of a
> concern.
>
> -Seth

	Sander

	This is the place where all