Re: Archive Generator -- a system tool?

Hello Glynn,

On 12 Aug 2002, Glynn Foster wrote:

> Remember, just because someone logs a bug, doesn't mean that it's the
> maintainers priority to fix it - scratch your own itch, create a patch.

That argument is such a clincher. I'm seeing this type of reaction more
often than I'd like when I post usability-type bugs to bugzilla. There's a
reason people are doing usability/translations etc. instead of
programming- it's where their talents and interests lie. Creating a patch
involves getting to know the intricacies of C/GTK programming and that's
not something everyone is ready to invest time in. Luckily there are
different ways to contribute, but when many of your suggestions are dealt
with by 'contribute a patch' then the fun is spoilt quickly.

In an ideal situation, the maintainers' priority to fix should be that
which is deemed the most important by the members of the various GNOME
subprojects. (Makes me wonder why GNOME bugzilla has voting disabled,
actually...)

This post isn't intended to express any bitterness about the way GNOME
development is going- please interpret it in a constructive way.

regards,

--

Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778