Re: [Deskbar] History persistance

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 14:34 -0500, Jose daLuz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to request something again that I filed an enhancement
> request on some months ago: some way to repeat a search term with a
> different handler rather than just repeating the entire search, i.e. a
> Google search for "green party usa" doesn't get me what I need, so
> let's try it with Yahoo, or a Newegg search for "WRT54G" doesn't
> produce any results so maybe Amazon search does.
>
> I don't know if "History" is the right place for this, but's it's
> perhaps the only type of search activity I do regularly that deskbar
> could make easier but doesn't -- a small piece missing from an
> otherwise excellent and useful package.

Right, thanks for reminding me this !

Now how we could do this ? I'm still convinced that the 'default'
behavior of history should be to reproduce exactly what you did, or it
defeats the whole purpose of it. Now i completely agree that there is
another use case where you want to use the same string but with a
different handler.

Maybe with a keyboard shortcut ?
like you hit <up>, <up>,  now the history match is highlighted. Then you
hit <ctrl-enter> and the selection list pops up, allowing to use the
term but with another handler ?

(ctrl-enter or any other key, maybe configurable, but i prefer not)

Is that possible at all with gtk, i suppose so, but would it solve your
problem ?

What do others think ?
Raf