Re: System Folders

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 14:00 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> I do not think that we should perform generic file indexing outside of
> $HOME.
>
> But I do think that specific drivers, as you mention, is a good idea.
> For example, for man pages.

I've been wondering about this for a little while.  I'd like beagle to
index /usr/share/doc.  Man pages would also be useful.

However, there are several users on my system, and I'd like them all to
share the same indexes.  I'd be unhappy if I ended up with multiple
indexes of such shared resources (which are pretty huge) being
generated.

One way to do this would be to implement a system-wide daemon which
generated indexes for such shared resources, and kept them in a suitable
location.  You'd need a central configuration file to point to such
indexes, but that shouldn't be too hard.

--
Richard Boulton <richard tartarus org>