Re: Beagle roadmap.

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 20:02 -0400, Nat Friedman wrote:
>         c) Index mail.
>                 For local mail users this is more difficult.  Ideally we
>                 would use Camel's index directly and write a Camel query
>                 driver, but it seems that Camel does not provide the
>                 locking we need.  So we're going to need to actually
>                 index local mail ourselves.

Nooooo! You should get camel fixed.

>                 Indexing local mail is made hard by the fact that mbox
>                 files and ev-summaries can get very large.

And some people will be using Maildir (or even MH) rather than mbox.

Also, I don't know if we're planning to go with the IMAP provider
rewrite for 2.2, but neither Jeff's rewrite nor Zucchi's rewrite
currently caches data in the same way as the current IMAP provider does.
It is also likely that the SOAP-based GroupWise provider would want to
cache data in a way that was more convenient for its own purposes than
the very IMAP-specific IMAP cache format is. Wouldn't you rather not
have to care about all this and just have a nice API?

-- Dan