Re: Beagle roadmap.

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:38, Alex Graveley wrote:
> I would also add "Screenshoting" as a Phase 2 (3?) deliverable.  Beagle
> absolutely needs to present memorable visual imagery to go along with
> the tiles.
>
> This means that PDFs, MS Office docs, OpenOffice docs, Webpages, movies,
> emails, music [1], people [2], all need to have good thumbnail
> screenshots to represent them.  No matter if the content is local or on
> the internet.

I have some code that uses AbiWord to filter all these word processor
docs and make screenshots of them. AbiWord will be run as background
process while indexing and screenshotting.

I'm happy to to work on using this code as a filter provided there is
not a fundamental objection to incorporating it into the whole
system.

So I won't mind if I'm told:

"Your code sucks, it crashes all the time, and leaks mem, and is too
slow and..."

I will mind if I'm told:

"We only do OpenOffice here. We don't want a competing product to
confuse our customers."

Sorry for being paranoid but I only have so much time and there are a
lot of things I'd like to do with it.

Thanks

Martin