Re: [Opensync-devel] Ubuntu UDS-Boston, Syncing solutions

> I really have certain doubts that you're just hijacking the OpenSync plugins
> and write your own synchronization logic. So the whole complexity of the
> OpenSync engine would be just duplicated ...

Right, but that is because a) both teams have created syn logic b)
neither team has made their sync logic a separate module that can be
used on it's own c) conduit believes it needs only hardware support d)
opensync believes it only needs a gui on top of the existing platform.

The truth is that opensync attempts at gui's have been awful, it's not
integrated into dbus for sync control; it doesn't use HAL for hardware
management or detecting when hardware is plugged in; it's terrible at
passing information about hardware around and has a rather
non-automatic configuration path that makes it hellish to set up end
points and doesn't have support for filters and media translations
(yet)

Where as conduit has almost no hardware syncing support, also doesn't
use HAL for managing hardware (yet), has poorer conflict resolution
and syncing logic and used to have a problem with having gdk (gnome)
requirements.

I do not believe either team can produce anything complete and useful
by it's self and the reason for the dialog and meeting is so we can
talk about how to merge, promote or decommission various parts of each
project so we acquire all strengths in the end functionality.

The conduit guys want to take all the hardware support, by use of an
extension of some kind.
I've not heard any solutions from opensync yet.

Best Regards, Martin Owens