Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC 2011 Ideas from Tobias

Dnia 2011-03-24, czw o godzinie 11:48 +0100, zekopeko pisze:
> There is already an application for that. Tangerine[1]. It uses DAAP
> for sharing. It might need some maintenance work since Alex Launi
> (lamalex) was the last one that worked on it over a year ago. Perhaps
> it would make more sense to give a dbus interface to Tangerine (I
> don't think it has one) so that it can be launched from Banshee. Alex
> didn't want to make it a Banshee extension because he thought sharing
> should be done by a dedicated app so you wouldn't have to run Banshee
> for sharing to work.
>
> Perhaps a better way would be to split Tangerine into a sharing daemon
> and a GUI. That way Banshee could depend on the sharing daemon and
> have a simple GUI for sharing while allowing people to install the
> Tangerine GUI if they don't want to use Banshee for sharing.

Isn't Rygel [1] a more mature solution? Banshee would only need to
expose a DBus interface according to MediaServer2Spec [2] and Rygel
would happily feed that into the UPnP world (AFAIK recent DAAP is still
unbroken and, as such, dead IMO).

Here's a graph I've done [3] when we talked about Banshee and Grilo /
Rygel / UPnP / MPRIS etc., representing what goes where etc.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Rygel
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Rygel/MediaServer2Spec
[3] http://sawicz.net/~michal/MediaServer.png

--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal sawicz net>