Re: [Banshee-List] Binary releases

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Matt Sturgeon <mttza1 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> I am wondering why the latest stable release (1.8.1) does not have a
> binary release for Mac OS? The same question for 1.9.x

The last OSX build, for 1.8.0, was contributed by a friend of mine,
after some poking and guidance on my part. He's a busy man, so I'm not
going to annoy him any further unless he volunteers.
So in order to provide OSX binaries, we need someone with the right
hardware (Apple), basic technical skills (command line, git, etc.) and
available time. It seems the last part is the hardest to find ;)

> Also, when Windows is released (1.9.4?) will the binaries (Mac and
> Win) be regularly (i.e. each release) updated?
>
> Do you plan to update binaries for unstable/development releases (odd
> minor-numbers)? Bugfix releases? Stable releases?

I think we should try to provide a Windows installer with each source release
For Mac see above.

> Also will there be a delay between official release (i.e. source) and
> binaries for Mac and Windows?

As you've seen with the 1.9.4, there's always a delay (a few hours or
days) between the source release and the binaries being available
(binaries being the Windows installer and packages for Linux distros).
For the 2.0 release, as indicated in the release schedule
(http://banshee.fm/about/calendar/) we will make the tarball available
a few days before the official release, in order to have binaries
available when we make the announcement.

> Also should we consider submitting to the Apple App Store (or whatever
> it's called) as a method to distribute Banshee, remembering we are
> still in beta for Mac?

I don't think it should be considered for now.

--
Bertrand Lorentz