Re: [Banshee-List] The most annoying thing in Banshee...

Hey Hrvoje

On Sat  4/09/10 23:28 , Hrvoje Pticar hpticar gmail com sent:
> ...is the queuing logic (or a complete absence thereof). It's just
> one of those things you can never really figure out or predict in
> which way it is going to behave. Play order/ing queue/ing in Banshee
> is completely inconsistent.

I partly agree with you. Sometime I get surprised by Banshee's playing order as well, but on a nice and sunny day I can
see a logic behind it.

> In, say, Amarok 1.4, I could, for example, browse my library and
> queue tracks on the fly, i.e. add them to the "Now Playing" playlist.
> I'm not 100% sure, but I think Window$ Media Player behaves in
> pretty much the same way. In Banshee, when you double click a track
> in your library, it's not queued in the Now Playing, but rather,
> Banshee takes the whole library as a playlist, starts playing it at
> the track you just double clicked, and continues on the next track in
> line when the one you clicked on is over.

That's it. Double clicking a song in Banshee means: "Play it right now!!". If there's NOT a song in the Play Queue
Banshee continuous playing with the next song in the line. Not to bad, isn't it? You don't need to use the Play Queue at
all. Banshee just plays your music from that point on, where you double click first.

> Sometimes, when I would double click a track in the library, and then
> queue another track using "Add to Play Queue", Banshee would
> occasionally play that second queued song after finishing playing the
> previous one,

True. Double click means: "Play it right now!". If the song is over, Banshee first picks the next in the Play Queue.

> but if I then queued some more, it would not continue
> playing queued tracks, but would rather return to the "playlist" (in
> fact my "Music" or "the whole library") and continue playing the next
> track in line after the originally double clicked track. At other
> times, it would completely ignore the queued tracks altogether and
> just continue playing next in line in the Library view.

I can't reproduce the behavior in Banshee 1.7.5. Banshee consistently plays the next song in the Play Queue first, if
there is one.

> In other words, there is no way you can queue tracks on the fly in
> Banshee and listen to the selection. You can't even save the
> played tracks as a playlist!?!I seriously doubt it's just me that
> sees this as a problem...

No, there's no feature to save the Play Queue as playlist. You can not even drag and drop the songs from the Play Queue
to a new playlist.

> Also, there is no way of stopping after a certain track has finished
> playing. Again, in (old 1.4) Amarok you could tag a track with "Stop
> playing after this track", and when the queued tracks would play,
> after this tagged one was finished, it would stop playing.

No such feature either. You have to delete all remaining songs from the Play Queue to have the desired behavior.

Cheers, Thomas