Re: [Banshee-List] vote for banshee default in 11.04

I'd REALLY like to see banshee as default in Ubuntu. I have been a Rhythmbox supporter for many years but I switched to Banshee 4-5 months ago. Banshee is a great application, much better than RB in many aspects. However, for Banshee to become default in Ubuntu some things should be taken into consideration:

1.- Get rid of the most important bugs. I recall that, in version 1.7.6, if you disable Last.fm support Banshee hangs (this may have been fixed in 1.8.0). Also, the ipod podcast sync problem/regression is a major one, and still not fixed I believe, and perhaps 1.8.0 should not have been released until this was fixed.

2.- The Rescan Music Library feature is no match to Rhythmbox's, which is automatic, faster, and more polished. For instance, sometimes I need to edit tags to my new already imported songs. Since Banshee does not come with a powerful tag editor, I have to do it with TagEdit (for CDDB look-ups mostly). Those tag changes won't get reflected in the DB, even after a new Rescan. Only if I either manually delete their old entries in the DB or I change the names of the files will work. Remember Mark Shuttleworth already said Banshee needs an automatic DB update routine that works just as RB's for them to replace it as default.

3.- Banshee gets slow on large libraries. I have approximately 40k songs in my library. I had to move 30k somewhere else and run a DAAP server for them to be accessed by Banshee.

IMHO, these are the major problems Banshee is facing right now before seeing it included as default in Ubuntu. I would not like to see Banshee as default until these are fixed. I would not want to see crowds of Ubuntu users complain about Banshee being buggier than RB. Right now I guess many people voting for RB are just anti-mono zealots, but many are just happy RB users that can be convinced by Banshee's potential (just as I was too).

Ignacio