[Banshee-List] some ideas for features and questions

Hi,

I'm currently working on a patch to let Banshee read the .is_audio_player file on the N900 (and Android and WebOS), to allow the user to modify the default settings. (it currently is under review in bugzilla).

I have some other ideas which i would like to develop, so comments are welcome:

1) Add support to sync music with any mounted filesystem which has a .is_audio_player (not just USB). This would be useful for N900 owners, because it is possible to run OpenSSH on the N900 and to mount it as a drive on Linux. So it would be a really nice feature if Banshee could sync the N900 over-the-air when it is mounted with sshfs. Another use for this would be to sync one computer with another and/or (again, when mounted with sshfs). And another way to use it would be to mount your webspace (also with sshfs or ftpfs or...) and sync it, so you can later listen to your music from everywhere and also have a backup. --> the code that currently detects new devices, subscribes to some DBus events to detect new USB devices, if i'm correct. Any suggestions where i should start looking to detect any new mounted filesystem? I already checked Directory.GetFilesystemEntries() but it only seems to return local filesystems?

2) Allow the creation of folders in the playlist (music and video). I personally found it to become a little mess when i created more then 25 playlists. Being able to organize them in folders would really help. --> i've been looking at the code, and i think with 'SourceView' i'm heading in the right direction to find where to add this.

3) In Smart Playlists, there currently is the 'Playlist is xxx' requirement but it only lets us select non-smart playlists. I would like to be able to select smart playlists as well, to create sub lists of other smart playlists.

Since i'm still very new to development on Linux and the Banshee codebase i have some questions.

- Are there some, rather easy, bugs which i could try to fix and would be good to learn and explore the code?

- When i try to Debug Banshee in MonoDevelop by choosing 'Debug Item' on the Nereid client, it start but after loading the wikipedia module it does nothing and doesn't show up. These are the last lines from the application log in MonoDevelop:
[Debug 20:20:27.045] Adding context page lastfm-recommendations
Module loaded: Banshee.Wikipedia, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
[Debug 20:20:27.208] Adding context page wikipedia
Module loaded: webkit-sharp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eaa1d335d2e19745. Any ideas what's causing this? I'm using MonoDevelop 2.2 on Ubuntu Karmic. and i don't have any breakpoints set. Debugging a simple Hello World application works.

- How do other people use a banshee.db during development? I know the --db paramter for banshee, and in the properties of the Nereid client in MonoDevelop i can add this parameter, but it modifies the project file. Or is it better to use the default database during development and use another one when you run Banshee just want to listen to music?

thx for any comments and/or suggestions!
Jeroen

--
blog: http://budts.be/weblog/ - home: http://lightyear.be