Re: [Banshee-List] Making the now playing source more playful

Am 08.03.2010 17:44, schrieb Alex Launi:
Last night before I went to bed I was thinking a little bit about the
context pane and the now playing source in Banshee. The location of the
context pane is awkward, it's content is related to the currently
playing track, but it's located inside of the library. This is a little
bit counter intuitive, I think.

The now playing source however is a massive region which is under used.
For music it's beautiful, but basically useless. Unless you're having a
party and just want to display the current track, there's not much
content there.

Let's merge the two. I think that moving content from the context pane
to the Now Playing source has a lot of advantages, here are some of the
ones that I've thought of while considering this change.

   1. *More room for context info!* Currently the context pane is small,
      and really you need to expand it to make it useful. But this
      covers up the library, so you can really only use one at a time
      anyway, and the two interfere. Getting the context pane out of the
      library makes them both more useful.
   2. *More room for the library!* This is really just part two of #1..
   3. *A more useful Now Playing source! *Sure for videos the now
      playing source is useful; it's playing video, but for music it's
      not really that interesting. You get a better view of the album
      art when you mouseover in the Now Playing area near the controls.
      Having real content here like last.fm <http://last.fm> info, or
      wikipedia article about the artist/album you're listening to makes
      the Now Playing source more interesting.
   4. *Per source context info! *Right now the context pane is kind of
      weird for videos. I'm watching a video about Burzum, and it's
      giving me recommendations for other black metal bands, but when I
      switch to a screencast of Do it's still giving me Burzum info. For
      a lot of videos last.fm <http://last.fm> info isn't interesting,
      but imdb might be. With this new method we could have source
      specific context info. Show last.fm <http://last.fm> for music
      videos, songs, imdb for movies/tv shows.

I'm interested to try my hand at implementing this, but it seems like a
rather large change and I wanted to discuss it with the group before I
spent a bunch of hours working on it, only to have it be rejected.. So
tell me your thoughts, do you like it? Things you'd like to see it do?
Problems with the current context pane you'd like to address?

Please make it an optional view as it is now. I rarely use the context pane but frequently use banshee on a netbook as an audio center, so there is not too much screen space to display anyway. I have not yet watched videos, so I cannot comment on this.

Hans