Re: [Banshee-List] Request for developer information

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 08:42 +0200, Fred Worms wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> As a developer of an application for talking digital books (please see
> http://talkingdocs.org ) I am less and less satisfied with the
> delopment tools presently used. I therefore want to start a Linux
> version. What I need is an audio player (mp2, mp3; wmv, .... ) and a
> programming interface with a few simple functions, specified below.
>
> I wonder whether Banshee could be a good choice. I would appreciate
> suggestions as to the player and also as to suitable low-cost Linux
> development tools. (I did lots of Unix development work in the 80's
> and 90's, using 4GL's and C). Thanks in advance for your kind replies!
>
> Fred Worms
>

> Start playing file X at beginning
> Start playing file X at time T in msecs
> Get current time of file X that is playing
> Get duration in msecs for file X that is playing
> Pause, resume and stop playing.

Banshee is using gstreamer (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/) to
accomplish the functions outlined above, adding a lot of other features
on top of that. All of those can be used by extensions or standalone
user interface clients.

You can have a look at the Booksmarks extension as an example on how
those functions are used through the Banshee API. It's in the main
source tree, in src/Extensions/Banshee.Bookmarks/.

Muinshee is an example of a different user interface client, you can
find it in src/Clients/Muinshee/.

About developement tools, monodevelop (http://monodevelop.com/) is a
pretty nice IDE. You can use it to open, browse and compile the banshee
source. And it's the lowest cost : free !

I hope this helps !

--
Bertrand Lorentz <bertrand lorentz gmail com>