[Banshee-List] Banshee 1.4.2 and iPod sync - works manually, not automatically

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get iPod sync working on Ubuntu 8.04. I'd
like to use Banshee (which seems to be the most complete player compared to
Amarok, Songbird, Exaile and Rhythmbox) and I can get it to recognise the
iPod OK (3rd gen nano) but only when I manually manage it. This means I have
to remember to drag a playlist every time I connect the iPod.

I'm able to tick the sync preferences to 'Automatically sync the device when
plugged in or when the libraries change', but when I plug in the iPod
nothing happens (bar the iPod showing up in the left tab) and when I eject
the iPod there's no music on it. Could it be because I've got 8.2GB of
music, but only an 8GB iPod?

How can I troubleshoot this? Any suggestions?

thanks for any help,

Regards,

Ed.