Re: [Banshee-List] Some features I would definitely like for Banshee 1.2 !

2008/6/21 Michal Sawicz:
Dnia 2008-06-21, sob o godzinie 16:51 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki pisze:
> didn't intend to embed 100kb worth of covers in every file. See what
> other players do (including iTunes) in this area. They only embed a
> thumbnail that gets displayed by every single piece of hardware I own
> (including but not limited to all kinds of Playstation consoles I use
> to play music at home).

Well I don't like the whole idea of embedding covers, but that's my
opinion. I'm only asking for an option that would decide which behavior
suits you best.

Mmm, definitively NOT embed artwork in the files, not even a thumbnail. I like the current approach of keeping the files out of the database, with names that identify the album.

About the other points. It is difficult for an application to choose an image from the folder of the audio files, because there can be several images, for example the cover and the back. I would take just that image named 'cover.jpg' or 'folder.jpg', and let the user add manually the images with different names. For example, I am Spanish and save my covers with 'portada.jpg', and some other would do it differently. I would choose just those two names for the seem the commonest.

About fetching the covers from Internet, I would try first to find the cover in MusicBrainz, then in Amazon (this is the common in other apps like Amarok or Exaile). If not found, would be great to be able (not automatically) to look for in Google Images, as in Listen. I have cited other apps not to reinvent the wheel.

Good job!! The "various artist" albums is the only thing that still hangs me on Amarok :(