Re: [Banshee-List] Playback causes high CPU

On 8/27/08, Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com> wrote:
> I searched a bit and couldn't find any bugs or previous threads on this.
> Does playback cause high CPU usage for anyone else? For me, it's using about
> half of my CPU according to `top`. Not the best machine ever, but it should
> hold its own—1.8 GHz Pentium M.
>
> It's really a problem though, as my machine is a laptop, and it's getting
> quite hot when I listen to a few songs in a row.
>
> It doesn't matter what I do—new database, all extensions off—it seems to be
> a general issue on my system.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I see this too; I think it's a fairly recent regression.  In fact, a
simple guess & check pins this on the commit my bzr tree calls 1625 -
the visualisation support patch.

The commit before this has ~0% CPU usage while playing a song, this
patch changes it to ~13% CPU.  I'd guess there's a bunch of work being
done to support visualisations even when there's no visualisation
happening :).