Re: [Banshee-List] moving from sled to suse - mp3 and aac support

On 1/17/07, Christopher Halse Rogers <chalserogers gmail com> wrote:
On 1/17/07, Matthew Vermeulen <mattvermeulen gmail com> wrote:
> On 1/17/07, ted leslie <tleslie tcn net> wrote:
>
> > according to the news on the site, any distro can
> > include this free mp3 codec in their release as long as they
> > get (free) permission from fluendo, but i wonder if there
> > as strings attached, else you would figure that
> > all novell & openSuse linux products could be released now with
> > the mp3 and be legit, and every other linux distro for that matter.
>
> MP3 is protected by a patent, too, iirc...
> Including the mp3 codec without paying royalties would then be patent
> infringement. :(

It is patent protected, but Fluendo have licensed it.  It's 100% legal.

It seems to be all above board. I sure am glad to see something being
worked out. Will various distros be able to package fluendo's codec?
So far it seems that you have to register as a customer, which is
annoying, to download the codec.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen