[Banshee-List] Trouble with a new "color" iPod Shuffle

I got my girlfriend one of those new iPod shuffles (blue) for
Valentine's Day and ended up giving it to her early (today). I
converted her over to Ubuntu a couple of months ago from XP. At any
rate, I wanted to see how well her "fresh out of the box" shuffle
would do with the latest release of Banshee.

My first problem was actually the fact that Rhythmbox kept wanting to
take the iPod. We're running Feisty, which is still a ways out from
release, but stable enough... I went in and used
gnome-volume-properties (Removable Drives and Media Preferences) from
Control Center to change the Portable Music Player to "banshee" and
had to turn off the auto-play feature on Audio CD's because Sound
Juicer kept stealing it and changing it to Banshee didn't seem to
help. I'd cancel Sound Juicer, but the CD would never show up in
Banshee as an available CD for import until I turned off auto-play. No
big deal but this all sort of pointed out something that I've always
hated in Windows.... but now might see the purpose of... that is the
ability to tell an application to "take over". I'd like from Banshee
to say, "Be my default Music Library, CD Player, and Portable Music
Manager" and have it handle it all for me.... even a message on first
run asking... something like that.

So, once I had the iPod showing up (it mounted fine in Ubuntu, showing
up on the desktop) in Banshee and had ripped a couple of CD's onto her
account, I clicked on the iPod sidebar entry in Banshee. It told me
that I needed to create a new database which made sense. This was
brand new "out of the box". I let it create the database, then synced
to it. Everything seemed to go fine and in fact, browsing the device
did show that all the files were transferred. Playing the songs off
the iPod through Banshee worked just fine.

So, I unplugged it from the computer (after ejecting it) and plugged
in the headphones and pressed play. Nothing happened. I plugged it
back in to the PC and Banshee continued to work fine with it but it
wouldn't play anything I had synced to it. It's a shuffle so I can't
pick a track to play or look at a menu or anything.

I took it over to the Windows PC and plugged it into iTunes. It
recognized things just fine but indicated there was no music on the
device (though it noted space was used). I went ahead and did a
"Restore to Factory" and let iTunes re-create the database and synced
a few tracks to it. It works great. I'm going to see what happens
tomorrow when I plug the iPod back into the Ubuntu box under Banshee
but I wanted to go ahead and get all the details down now before I
forgot anything. Is there anything I should do at this point before
trying it under Banshee again?

Matt Philmon