Re: [Banshee-List] Cleanup plugin now available

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:55:47PM -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On 10/10/06, Trey Ethridge <tethridge gmail com> wrote:
> > Is it really that common to have shares that aren't available all the
> > time as music shares in banshee?  I'm surprised if that is the case.
> > I assumed that most people had local shares that they use for their
> > library.  Then for remote shares they would connect using daap.

Probably not hugely common, but I do remember a while back in some other
media player being bitten when the 'auto file scan' feature decided that
since my /mp3 NFS share wasn't mounted it would helpfully delete my
entire library :(

> +1.  I have my music mounted from my desktop on my laptop via NFS
> because (in some great irony) GStreamer can't share FLAC files via
> DAAP, making DAAP pretty useless to me at this point.
>
> I think your suggestion of running it manually with a dialog sounds just fine.

Agreed.  Personally I think that it will become more and more common for
people to have their media available from a central location so that it
is OS/computer/environment independant.  Obviously a fileserver sitting
and sharing by SMB/NFS to your desktop/laptop/mythbox/osx/windows/etc
makes it much more available for the home entertainment / wired house.

</ramble>

Running it manually and having it display a dialog asking for changes
works well though too :)

Oh, and as an aside about the playlist for deleted files I was actually
wrong, it wasn't RB that does it but banshee's 'error report' or
whatever it's called.  In the .11 series if you add files that are
already in the library you get a list of the errors in the same tree as
your playlists, that's what I was thinking of.

Regards,

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike