Re: Data copy error

Hello, Albrecht,

On 05/27/2016 02:45:26 PM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
Hi Andreas:

Am 27.05.16 11:50 schrieb(en) Andreas Schmidt:
I just stumbled over an issue I can't explain. After sending a mail, I get a message "Saving sent message to file:///home/pc/Mail/sentbox failed: Data copy error".

As you are trying to store into a MBox, I guess this message is coming from libbalsa/mailbox_mbox.c, around line 2022.
yes, it is an MBox. I have used this for years, and there are so many mboxes (for mailing list, individual people etc.) on my system now that I've always shied away from migrating to another setup. Also, as I don't even have a big home-network here (just desktop computer and laptop) something like IMAP seemed like overkill. In a bigger environment, it might be interesting to have all mails on one server; but keeping mails on an external server and having to download mails each time I want to read them would be inefficient, as my network connection is rather slow. So I download all mails once on both computers (and send a BCC for every mail I write to my own address, thus sent/received mails are the same on both computers) and have everything available regardless of whether I am at home or somewhere else.

$ ls -l ~/Mail/sentbox
-rw------- 1 pc pc 2148394623 May 27 11:29 /home/pc/Mail/sentbox

...which is actually already slightly *above* 2 GB (== 2147483648 bytes).
I know. Two or three days ago I noticed that I couldn't any longer move any mails there, and when I saw the file size was above 2 GB, I remembered that threshold on some file systems.

$ di -h ~/Mail/
Filesystem Mount Size Used Avail %Used fs Type /dev/mapper/sda5_c /home 400.6G 375.9G 4.3G 99% ext4

Do you have blocks reserved for root on this fs (try running 'sudo dumpe2fs -h /dev/mapper/sda5_c | grep -i "block count"')? Then it might be normal that all user-accessible blocks have been used up, and the remaining space is reserved...
***
$ sudo dumpe2fs -h /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt | grep -i block
dumpe2fs 1.43 (17-May-2016)
Block count:                    106714880
Reserved block count:         53357445335744
Free blocks:                         6461441
***
How would you interpret this? There are 6.461.441 free blocks, of which 5.335.744 are reserved for root (i.e. 1.125.697 blocks are still available), or are 5.335.744 of the 106.714.880 reserved, but I can still use 6.461.441 blocks? Even in the former case, there should still be enough space, though.

The disk space is quite low, I admit, but there still should be enough room left to add a simple, short plain-text mail. Also, as far as I know, ext4 can handle file sizes far beyond 2 GB.

See above - it's already above 2 GB. The maximum file size on Ext4 /without/ giving the 'huge_file' option is already 2 TB, btw.
That's the point: it's above 2 GB, but compared with 2 TB, it is still just a drop in the bucket. :-)

Could it be that there is a hard-coded limit for the size of mbox files in balsa?

Not in balsa. The aforementioned code calls gmime methods to store the message. You could check which gmime version you use (say 'ldd $(which balsa) | grep gmime'); afaict at least gmime 2.6 supports files > 2 GB. I don't know exactly what the gmime methods do under the hood, though. I don't think they produce a working copy or something similar which basically would double the disk space requirement.
***
$ ldd $(which balsa) | grep gmime
libgmime-2.6.so.0 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgmime-2.6.so.0 (0xb76a2000)
***
That should also be OK. So why does balsa refuse to write to that file?

$ dpkg -l | grep balsa
ii balsa 2.4.12-3 i386 e-mail client for GNOME

Yes, that's somewhat old... You may want to build a newer one (maybe the gtk3 branch from git, as to get all the latest & greatest improvements) yourself?
I just tried it, following the instructions given on <https://pawsa.fedorapeople.org/balsa/git-help.html>. ./autogen --enable-all quits with this error:

***
configure: error: Package requirements (
glib-2.0 >= 2.16.0
gtk+-2.0 >= 2.14.0
gmime-2.6
gio-2.0
gthread-2.0
libgnome-2.0 libgnomeui-2.0 libbonobo-2.0 gconf-2.0
) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
No package 'libgnome-2.0' found
No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
No package 'libbonobo-2.0' found
No package 'gconf-2.0' found
***

Unfortunately, these packages are not available in the Debian repository. Then I downloaded the tarball (2.5.2), but ./autogen.sh --enable-all stops again because certain packages could not be found (and are not available in the repository):

***
configure: error: Package requirements (
glib-2.0 >= 2.32.0
gtk+-3.0 >= 3.4.0
gmime-2.6
gio-2.0
gthread-2.0
 gio-unix-2.0
) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
***

Looks like I'm stuck with the old version. :-)

Best regards

Andreas