Re: compile help, please

On 2010.03.31 15:22, Paweł Sałek wrote:
On 03/31/2010 09:16:38 PM, Jack wrote:
I had a working copy of the git repository for testing things a few months ago. I just went to test the new size column fixes, and I have apparently completely messed up my copy. I started from scratch (git clone and pull) but still can't get it compiled. The instructions on the web site start with checking out the git source, and then mention cvs in the compile instructions, so I'm not sure if they are right or not. (they mention autogen, not autogen.sh)

./autogen.sh complains about missing .m4 files, and any attempt at .configure ends with a complaint about not finding libnm_glib.\

Is there a recent set of instructions on compiling the source from git available?

Thanks for any pointers.

Not much has changed recently wrt building. I think ./bootstrap.sh %&& ./configure --without-nm should do the work for you. (nm=NetworkManager support; it is nice to have but not obligatory),

Pawel,

Thanks. It was a combination of not paying attention and forgetting stuff.

I don't know why I didn't recognize libnm as NetworkManager. Hunting through old Gentoo bug reports reminded me - their ebuild for balsa 2.4.2 had some issues related to networkmanager, and I finally got it to work without networkmanager, but using Gentoo USE flags and not manual configuration, thus I forgot to change my configure options for the manual compile.

I also had to change the configure parameters to use webkit instead of gtkhtml.

Also - note that autogen.sh and bootstrap.sh (I'm still not sure how to decide which to use) both run configure, so ./bootstrap.sh --without-nm will work.

I'm sending this from the newly compiled version, so it obviously works (including the fix to the size column width issue). However, I'm still not sure why I'm getting:
  Please add the files
    codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
    progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
  or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.
from the glib-gettextize command in either autogen.sh or bootstrap.sh - however, there is a note that explicitly says to ignore non-fatal messages, so I suppose it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Jack