Re: REALLY adding search to balsa

On 2001.12.13 16:36 rowe@excc.ex.ac.uk wrote:
> What is the actual active status of people trying to add search to
> balsa?
>
> I ask this because I am working on a search library to make it easy to
> add search to any application by handling all the guts of the search
> itself and just requiring the programmer to have two functions: one to
> return a pointer to the next 'item' to be considered and another to
> return
> a pointer (or a series of pointers) to the text belonging to that
> item. The programmer would also have to display the results of course.
>
> Currently I can handle booleans and lists ("any two of.."), I am
> adding a multi-field capability (Body, Subject, Sender, etc.) and
> regexps will be handled by pcre.
>
> Now if there is a real, preferred, balsa search project going on
> there's clearly not much point in me trying to gt this into balsa. But
> if it's in the "stalled" state I would rather have a good search quite
> soon than a basic one much later.

There is a patch that currently works OK at bugzilla #63459. It is based
on the filters engine I coded for Balsa.
Could you tell me what you are planning for your lib ?
In fact I think my code is not as generic as it should (for example I
think your library uses sieve format?). The only problem is that I'm not
sure sieve filters are well designed to handle mailbox search. But I can
be false ;-)
  Bye
Manu